Urban Gardening – Making Use Of Your Available Space
So many of us these days live in restricted space. We don’t live on a farm, or in the country. We don’t have a paddock, a field or meadow to use. If we are lucky enough to own our home, the chances are the yard space will be small. As the Australian population swells, our yards do seem to be getting smaller and smaller. Maybe you don’t even have a yard, you may be living in a unit or flat where your only outdoor space is a balcony, or even a window sill. If you are really unlucky, you may have no outdoor space at all. I lived in a highrise unit in Sydney for 18 months where the windows didn’t even open. I was completely trapped indoors.
You may rent also, which puts restrictions on what you can and cannot do to your living space.
This is the challenge of urban gardening – how do we make best use of our available space and conditions.
I have recently started a new project in my front yard – you can see how I have a trellis on the inside of my fence. When I bought this property, this trellis contained a creeper of some kind. Recently it got too much, it was climbing all over the other trees in the garden, cleanly folding and snapping branches off as it grew. It had extended up the brick wall and into the garage guttering and roof. I decided recently it must come down. So on the weekend I have completely removed the creeper, leaving me with this blank canvas
Over the next few weeks (or months) I am going to fill this trellis with herbs and vegetables. It is just a too useful (and well placed) space to have it under-utilised or with an aesthetic plant only. It is well positioned too, getting good daylight but none of the hottest afternoon sun. Both the garage in the west and the fence facing the north will protect the plants from the worst of the hot Aussie sun.
So to start the project I went to Bunnings today to check out some of the options for pre-built wall garden solutions. Most of the ones available were designed for a smaller space like a balcony, but to my mind they were very expensive. They were about $60 for a 3 pot vertical solution, where the pots were about 30cms wide by 10 cms deep. Given the pre-existing trellis, I am sure I can come up with a much more cost effective solution, given all I really need to do is hang some pots on the fence. I may make the solution I come up with my first excuse for a video post – so stay tuned…