My Backyard Vertical Garden
Hanging Pot Solution
A few weeks ago I wrote a post about setting up my vertical garden commenting about how expensive the hanging pots sets are for my trellis wall. Over the couple of weeks following that post, I did some research and shopping around and have found a solution that is much more flexible and also more cost effective.
The video below runs through the solution I found
The financials of this solution are:
- A set of 3 pre-made hanging pots of this variety will cost you over $60. You will have 3 pots about 5 cms apart, one above the other. There will be a frame behind them though holding it all together, so its still a good solution if you don’t already have a frame on the wall. This is our benchmark.
- Each of the pots used in the video costs less than $13. So three are maximum $39
- A pair of those hooks were less than $2.50, so three sets cost a maximum of $7.50
- Total 3 pot set comes to less than $46.50, a saving of around $15 – or 25%
(Note: this video was filmed early 2014 – prices will vary as time goes on, but I hope the savings will stay similar)
This isn’t a massive savings, however a few of points on this:
- Urban gardening is about using what you have as efficiently as you can. It pays to get into the habit of being thrifty with space, your time and money
- If I wanted to fill the wall with these pots, I could get at least 10 sets of 3. That makes the savings minimum $150. Now that is worth thinking about.
- Also, think of how many seeds you can buy just from the $15 savings
An additional benefit of this set up is that I have much more flexibility. I don’t need to stack my pots in sets of three one above the other. This will make for a much more aesthetically pleasing vertical garden.